5.15.2008

"Some senators called the Bush administration's response to the crisis inadequate.

This has been perhaps the most common sentiment on just about everything good ol Geedub has ever tried to do, so noone should be surprised that his response is "inadequate." Re the issue of starving folks worldwide due to a food shortage, I certainly empathize and sympathize, since I know what it's like to hungry for days at a time. With that said however, I would state - forcefully - that we first resolve our hunger and homelessness problems here at home before we try to fix everyone else's problems. I'm not advocating isolationism or a complete stoppage of foreign aid to people in desperate conditions, mind you. I'm simply arguing here that if the rescuers aren't in good enough condition to actually rescue and we continue to stretch the scarce available resources ever thinner, we will eventually be unable to assist anyone, including ourselves. (NPR)

Officials Warn Senate Panel of Food Crisis

Listen Now [3 min 58 sec] add to playlist

Morning Edition, May 15, 2008 · The Senate Foreign Relations Committee heard from international experts Wednesday that sharp increases in food prices could soon increase the number of hungry in the world by another hundred million people. Some senators called the Bush administration's response to the crisis inadequate.

Smiling does a body good

Democracy Now Livestream