5.22.2008

"Most of the places people often go to for help are also struggling financially."

No, most folks don't find choosing between eating and paying rent hard because when it comes right down to it, they don't have to have a house, but they do have to eat. What is difficult for them is trying to hold on to a roof over their heads as the price of damned near everything continues to increase but the amount they have coming in remains the same.... Eat Or Pay Rent, Some Find It Hard To Choose

Posted: May 21, 2008 05:43 PM

Tina Pack
Tina Pack
Lisa Gallon
Lisa Gallon
Mary Washington
Mary Washington

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Some Midstate residents are finding it hard to choose between eating and paying their rent.

Most of the places people often go to for help are also struggling financially.

Several charitable groups told NewsChannel 5 that contributions and donations are down.

The Metro Action Commission helps thousands pay bills. It ran out of cash in April. Its new fiscal year begins in July.

This leaves thousands of people such as Tina Pack struggling to survive.

She is worried about losing her home.

"Even though I have a car and a job, I don't know what the world is coming to," she said.

Her bills are past due including rent. She owes $3,255 in rent.

Pack went to the Metro Action Commission or MAC, which uses federal and local dollars to help people pay essential bills.

"Hopefully they can help me here," she said as she entered the office.

Not this time.

She learned that the agency doesn't have the means to help her.

There are 1,100 names on a list waiting for help from the MAC.

"These are folks who come into our building asking for assistance with rent, mortgages, property taxes," said Lisa Gallon, MAC spokeswoman.

Mary Washington's husband recently passed away.

"I have a mortgage, the utilities and a car note. It's more than I can do," said the 69-year-old woman, a financial aid applicant.

She must find a way to survive until July when more federal dollars will become available.

She knows people who are now homeless and unable to pay bills in this tight economy.

"It's really scary. I don't panic. I know you got to get out and dig," she said.

She said will work more and eat less.

"Thank God for McDonalds and the 99-cent burger," she said. "I just have to eat one a day."

Several charitable groups are running out of money due to rising costs for supplies and dips in donations.

Many organizations will get more money for new budgets at the beginning the new fiscal year in July.

Smiling does a body good

Democracy Now Livestream