10.03.2007

Double Padded Bench Award: Nashville Homeless Power Project & Candy Christmas/Bridge Ministry

Couple of big news stories for those of us who work with the Homeless. First, the Nashville Homeless Power Project welcomed the new mayor, Karl Dean and refocused attention to the original Homelessness Commission's goal of 200 new low income house units a year over ten years. The event was well attended and well documented, and I'll have a fairly long video of the event coming sometime in the next day or two. I'd get it up and out sooner but I've got an all-day training session today that precludes me from doing just about anything besides attending this darned thing. Both the new Mayor, Karl Dean, and the Chairperson of the Homelessness Commission and former Vice-Mayor, Howard Gentry, spoke at the rally; my apologies for not getting video of my friend and colleague Mr. Gentry, but I had been alerted to police activity down the road at the Jefferson Street Bridge, a perfect segue into the second half of the evening. The Tuesday night food service (I just hate the term "feeding;" like my friend Kevin over at the HomelessGuy blog likes to say, "we don't want the monkeys to get too excited!") of The Bridge Ministry founder Candy Christmas, that takes place under the Jefferson Street bridge was back on last night, thanks to a number of folks and the amazing efforts of Candy herself. Last night was well attended, both by patrons of the HOT food that was once again served and by those of us who had an interest in what was occurring to Candy that got her shut down in the first place, after four years of selfless service and ministering to the poor and downtrodden. One thing I don't think folks realized when they moved on Candy to close her operation was the public outcry that would arise as a result. I spoke with Candy last night and we were both of the opinion that this action by the Metro Health Department actually galvanized support for those who help the Homeless, as well as spotlighting increasingly aggressive and at times meanspirited interdiction efforts by local authorities. I want to make it clear that this was not and action initiated by the state but instead was the result of an anonymous phone complaint: (From Candy's website)

What's going on?

As many of you know, Tuesday night the Department of Health met our trucks at the Jefferson Street Bridge for an inspection. After meeting with representatives

from the Department of Health, we were informed that this inspection was not a result of any State department. It was due to an anonymous phone complaint. By law, they were required to investigate. This is simply a minor obstacle that we will overcome.

While I didn't see channel 4 at this event, I did see channel 2, who did an interview with Candy by the foodservice truck being used to keep the meals at the required 140 degrees, per Health department regs. Imho, it would be very difficult to portray Candy in a negative light, especially given the attendance and support at last night's event. I am anxiously awaiting Channel 2's report this morning as the food was great, the music was outstanding (I'll have it posted here and on YouTube just as quickly as I can get it done) and the support from community members who were obviously not homeless was just an amazing thing to witness and be a part of. No matter what your opinion may be on the "God-thing," if more human beings took the attitudes of those working together last night to make sure everyone - EVERYONE - in our community was taken care of, this world would be a much better place indeed. Many thanks to the Nashville Homeless Power Project and to Candy Christmas - they are a testament to the strength, power and compassion that makes Nashville such a wonderful place to live.

Smiling does a body good

Democracy Now Livestream