12.28.2008

"With today's economy, I notice the homeless number is rising,"

If you're homeless in Nashville, you almost certainly know at least two people here; Father Charlie Strobel and Candy Christmas.  Both have done more to assist those experiencing homelessness in one week than many of us do over our entire lifetimes. 

Candy's "bridge ministry" meets every Tuesday, rain, heat, sleet, shine or wind, and every Tuesday there will be hundreds of folks there waiting for dinner and music.  Its a great time and I'm always impressed with the caliber of the food and the entertainment that accompanies the meal.  The other thing that impresses me is the fact that, although it's definitely a religious service, people aren't forced to participate in the service itself in order to get some clhow.  some peeps just have a hard time with the God-thing, and Candy I suspect recognizes that.  She's more concerned with getting folks fed than preaching to them, and I think she also understands that sometimes, the gentle approach works better than "gunbarrel prayer" participation....



Ministry feeds the homeless under Jefferson Street Bridge
Posted: Dec 23, 2008 09:11 PM

Video Gallery

<1>
More on the Web
BridgeMinistry.org

The Bridge Ministry has fed the homeless under the Jefferson Street Bridge a holiday meal for the last three years.  This year was no different.

Candy Christmas founded the Bridge Ministry in November 2004 with her husband.
She said it started with the food.

"I began to cook jambalaya and bring it every Tuesday night, and one thing turned into another," she continued.  "A lot of them are educated people who are down on their luck."

Word of mouth spread quickly and it turned into weekly meetings with hundreds of people and volunteers.

"With today's economy, I notice the homeless number is rising," Christmas added.
She said not only is homelessness rising "there are more children and families that we're feeding."

Each person that came to the holiday service Tuesday night not only got fed, but walked away with a new winter coat, hat and scarf and the promise of another service just one week away.

Michael Orand has volunteered with the ministry for six months. 

"We've got a lot of the same people that this is the only church they have, and they call it their church," he told News 2.  "I've seen people go from living under this very bridge to getting an apartment, to getting a job, and getting involved in church."

Charlie Hahn has been homeless and said he's counted on the weekly meetings to get through the tough times. 

"Whether I work or I'm hungry, they're here for me. So when I'm working, I'm here for them," he said.

The Bridge Ministry serves hot meals at 6 p.m. every Tuesday night under the Jefferson Street Bridge.

The organization runs mostly off of donations.

Smiling does a body good

Democracy Now Livestream