UPDATE - 12-2/5PM: While taking a bunch of folks from Tent City over to the Muni Center today for Proiject Homeless Connect, I got a little bit better info on what went down at the camp during Thanksgiving and the following weekend. It turns out that it wasn't Metro PD that came to the camp but instead Davidson County Sheriffs, and they came bearing food and clothes out the wazoo! Sorry for giving misplaced credit and let me give megathanks to Big Jeff Blum and the fine folks over at the SO for their concern and compassion for the residents at the camp.
According to the crew I took over today, at least five churches, one from over 100 miles away, came to the camp during the Thanksgiving holiday and the weekend that followed it, bringing plenty of food and supplies. Each group had stated they'd seen the news reports on the camp and wanted to help. I think the last group down there was Johnny Action Ministries - Motto: less preaching, more action - who provided hats, gloves, socks and food to residents on Saturday afternoon.
Peace!So I've been back in town about a full day now although my phone still says I'm on vacation, I recieved a call this morning from one of my clients, who recently moved from Tent City into the "wilderness" out in the Hermitage, Percy Priest area. I think residents out here would be shocked to know just how many folks actually live out around the lake, on the Stones River, and tucked away in some of the groves of trees in the area, but that's not the reason I write this today.
Rather, my friend and client "Rocky" related not one, but two stories of Metro PD "engagement" that both resulted not in citations and/or arrests, but instead in behavior more ascribed to local church groups than to Nashville's Finest when dealing with those experiencing homelessness.
In the first encounter, Rocky was headed back to his camp when he found a couple of Metro officers coming out of his hiding spot. Rather than being told they'd closed his camp. the officers complimented him on the cleanliness of the area, told him to keep a low profile and so long as no one complained, to enjoy his spot until the winter ended.
Say what???
To further freak out my boy (and a whole lotta folks reading this, no doubt), when he returned to his camp several days later after a visit to a local eatery to charge his phone, he discovered a phatt food box, filled with real, fresh, quality grub and assorted goodies, sitting just inside his camp, courtesy of none other than Metro's finest!
Pinch me, I must be dreaming....
But lo and behold, he wasn't done yet. According to him, he was able to catch a ride over toTent City from his camp during Thanksgiving, courtesy of Laurie, who, bless her ten-ton heart, drove the hour into town from her home and then cruised all the way out to Hermitage to pick up Rocky and take him to the camp on her own time, on freakin Thanksgiving no less!
But that still ain't the capper; turns out big Denis the truck driver had stopped down at Tent City with a pickup truck load of tasty turkey treatery and the folks were busy feastin on the finery when, holy taco, Metro's finest showed up and delivered...no,
I'm about to keel over here. Pardon me while I go change my glee-stained shorts.
I don't know what's gotten into those boys-n-girls in blue around heah but I sure hope it stays for a while.....