I've been down for the count with some serious damned virus that woke me from a dead sleep at 230AM with nausea and vomiting last night and has kept me barely able to sit up until about 6 tonight.
I'm hoping I'm on the tail end of it; managed to eat a bowl of soup about an hour ago and it's still with me, so that's a good sign, I guess.
Anyway, sorry to bore you all with tales of my frailty and pantywaisted pissing and moaning.
My wife brought to my attention the article in the Tennessean with my boss, colleague and close friend BigWillyC as the main focus, and I found this video that Steve Harmon had shot down at the camp yesterday while I was moving one of the residents into transitional housing.
A bit on the self-promoting side here but what I'm really glad to hear is Mama Bear's appreciation of the efforts everyone at my agency has put forth to help her into housing. I have one of the greatest jobs in the world and wouldn't trade it for anything. More importantly, I'm honored and at the same time humbled to work with such loving, caring and good people......Nonprofit helps a growing homeless population find hope
Season to Give: Part of a Continuing Series
Will Connelly sees himself as an agent of hope.He spends a lot of time connecting folks who live on the streets with social services. In some cases, he helps them find homes.
"Because of the economic situation, we're seeing new faces" in need of help, Connelly said.
"There's less funding available because local governments and foundations are strapped for cash. We'd love to be able to employ more people, do more outreach, pay for rent assistance."
But some services that Park Center provides don't have a price tag.
"There's a good chance that you'll lose hope while you're living on the streets," Connelly said.
"We come outside to see you fairly consistently and try to walk with you and guide you through the maze of social services. We're here to meet you where you are."
Carolyn Garton knows firsthand. Until recently, Garton — known as Mama Bear — lived in Tent City, a homeless encampment between Hermitage Avenue and the downtown Nashville Cumberland River.
She now lives in an apartment complex off Murfreesboro Pike, organized and overseen by a number of outreach agencies. Without the assistance, she said, she'd still be homeless.
"They've helped me with clothing, bus passes and to get here," said Garton, who lived on the streets for two years.
"They really pushed the issue to help people. I love it here," Garton said referring to her one-bedroom apartment she shared with her dog, Sunshine.
Contact Natalia Mielczarek at 615-259-8079 or nmielczarek@ten