12.20.2008

"All the sudden we could physically feel the boom. We knew right then it was something inside the building complex"

I was notified last night about 930PM that a serious explosion had occurred at the Drake Motel, down on Murfreesboro rd.  The reason this is significant here is because this is where at least 12 members of Tent City now reside.  


I watched the 10pm news and sure enough, the blast occurred in the newly refurbished section, where our folks are now residing.


I saw that Pontiac had made channel 2 news while Mama Bear had made channel 5.  Now 30 people are displaced and I suspect that at least 12 of them are my guys and girls....


I don't know what the hell to think.  We took them out of Tent City so they'd be safer.  I don't recall anyone ever having an explosion at Tent City large enough to displace the entire population....


I'm heading down to the Drake this morning to see if I can find out what's going on.....



Explosion Felt At Nashville's Drake Motel
Posted: Dec 20, 2008 12:19 AM

Video Gallery

<1>




NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Firefighters were called out to investigate an explosion at Nashville's Drake Motel.

Witnesses reported hearing a loud explosion around 8 p.m. Friday night at the motel on Murfreesboro Road. The explosion was so loud that it could be heard from a fire station just a couple blocks away.

Firefighters heard the explosion and responded immediately to the scene. They found the middle portion of the Drake Motel had collapsed.

The motel had apparently gone through some renovations recently.
Officials said there could have been a natural gas explosion or an explosion in a water boiler room.

Firefighters said it was too early to determine the exact cause of the blast.

Motel tenant Carolyn Garton was eating dinner when she heard the blast.

"All the sudden we could physically feel the boom. We knew right then it was something inside the building complex," said Garton.

One person was found next to the street and suffering from burns.

Another person reportedly had to be pulled from the debris. Both people were transported to Vanderbilt Medical Center.
Their condition was unknown.

The American Red Cross was called out to provide assistance to as many as 30 residents who were displaced.

Smiling does a body good

Democracy Now Livestream