Posted: June 22, 2008 08:49 PM
Video Gallery | ||||||||
| "By the time I paid the mortgage and bills that I had to pay, it didn't leave me with much," says Rita Gonzales. | ||||||||
| ||||||||
| ||||||||
By ANN KEIL 6 News Reporter
KNOXVILLE (WATE) -- A record number of homeless people have sought refuge in local shelters in the last two months.
Knox Area Rescue Ministries (KARM) officials say the increase is mostly because there are more homeless women.
"I've been here since May 5," says Rita Gonzales, 57. "By the time I paid the mortgage and bills that I had to pay, it didn't leave me with much."
Gonzales says that's why she turned to the KARM in downtown Knoxville.
But she's not the only victim of the weakened economy.
Dennis Hayworth, a KARM employee, says the ministry provides shelter for approximately 200 men and 80 to 100 women every day. He expects that number to increase.
"I foresee probably having to build onto this building or open up another one," Hayworth says.
In the meantime, with the community's support, the charity hopes to continue providing for homeless women like Gonzales and help them find the inspiration to get back on their feet.
"You just take it one day at a time and the Lord helps you," Gonzales.