I'm never ceased to be amazed by the initiative and efforts of determined people....
SHE WALKS THE WALK:
Ohio woman treks for the homeless
• Kim Denmark, center, speaks with Greg Von Arx, left, as she walks across the Midpoint Memorial Bridge from Fort Myers to Cape Coral as part of her Walk Across America tour. Denmark, who is walking to bring awareness to the plight of homeless people in America, was joined by members of the local community. Von Arx, who joined Denmark during her walk across the bridge, says he's homeless. At far right is Cape Coral Mayor Eric Feichthaler. (TERRY ALLEN WILLIAMS/news-p
"If I'm helping one person, it's worth it," said the 47-year-old native of Dayton, Ohio. "If I have to walk across the nation to be an example that one person can make a difference, so be it."
She walked into Fort Myers on June 12 and by the time she left - one week later - two dozen residents walked beside her across the Midpoint Bridge into Cape Coral as she continued her journey north.
Walking, she said, was God's idea.
It all began six years ago, when she was living in Dayton and running a successful temporary employment agency, she said. The more money she earned, the more arrogant she became.
"I was very self-centered,"
She bought a Mercedes, moved out of her neighborhood and away from "those people." She even threw a handful of change at a homeless person, she said.
One day she got sick and couldn't get out of bed. The days turned into weeks. She lost weight, her fingers turned gray and none of her doctors could explain or ease her symptoms. One night she had a dream, she said. In the dream she was escorted through a hell-like scene with people screaming in the dark.
"I was so happy when I woke up that I told God I would do anything," she said.
That morning she stood up and felt the energy return to her body. She heard God tell her to walk in honor of the poor and disenfranchised
That was 16 states and more than 3,500 miles ago. She's touched many lives since then. She plans to walk 49 states and end her journey in Washington, D.C.
One year into her journey, her home was auctioned and she became one of the people she champions.
"I'm crossing state after state and people want a hug or someone to talk to," she said.
She has enjoyed walking in Florida through the Everglades, Miami, Naples and Fort Myers.
"I got a feel for Florida," she said. "It's a huge compilation of 50 states. Everyone is in Florida."
Since she arrived last week, she's been "in the streets" and touring local agencies such as the Soup Kitchen and the Children's Advocacy Center of Southwest Florida. She passed out food and blankets to the homeless.
Her goal is to raise awareness but she's contented offering a smile and a kind word.
"If I help one person, I've made a difference," she said. "If I can say, 'I love you,' or give them a hug or anything to lift their spirits, I'm satisfied."
She lifted the spirits of the folks who escorted her across the Midpoint Bridge on Thursday and made a lasting impression on Fort Myers City Councilman Johnny W. Streets Jr. He and Cape Coral Mayor Eric Feichthaler gave her a proclamation recognizing her Walk Across America campaign after she crossed the bridge.
"She's inspiring all of us to help somebody," Streets said. "Fifty years down the road it doesn't matter what's in my bank account or what kind of car I drive. (What matters is) that somebody said that person tried to help somebody."
For more information: kimswalk.org.