9.05.2008

Two Big Events Today: 1. Tent City Evictions May Have Gotten A Temporary Reprieve. 2. Stabbing Suspect Caught Near Tent City

UPDATE: Much to report on the events today.

First, the commission meeting and some video will accompany a lengthy report tomorrow but for tonight, let me just say that it looks like we may have gotten the camp's closure at least postponed until November 1st, when Room in the Inn begins.

If we're really lucky, we may have been able to convince the powers that be to let us continue with our original effort at cleaning and restoring order to the camp.

Also, it's not been a secret who the police were looking for regarding the alleged stabbing at the camp. I was driving down Broadway around noonish today and saw the individual in question being led across the street towards the police department in handcuffs by an officer. I honked my horn as I drove by to doublecheck the identity and there was no mistake, they had the person they'd been searching for. Whether this is indeed the man that committed the alleged stabbing remains to be seen but for now, the suspect police were seeking is in custody.

I spoke with Lt. Swisher on the way home todayto determine whether she'd had an opportunity to discuss the meeting with her commander while she hadn't yet met with Commander Huggins, she related to me that officers received numerous reports that the suspect was seen heading down the road towards Tent City. According to the Lt., she and other officers arrived at the scene and discovered the man in a campsite adjacent to Tent City.

Been a long day and I'll post some video of the commission meeting tomorrow; you won't want to miss Clemmie Greenlee, John Lozier, Clifton Harris and Lt. Swisher as they hammered out what was going on.....



Smiling does a body good

Democracy Now Livestream