12.29.2007

Sometimes "they give up, leaving their children with grandparents or more stable aunts and uncles, or allowing them to go into foster care."

I know firsthand what it's like to be a single father raising two children while mired in poverty, and it is a real bitch, let me tell you. I have nothing but respect for the women who must take on this task because "no-show" dads chump out, but women have traditionally gotten better treatment than the men who try to take on that role alone. I realize this isn't true across the board, but generally speaking, I think its accurate. Anecdotal case in point: when my ex-wife went off the deep end on a cocaine induced psychosis back in 1987, I had just moved to California and was working as an EMT II for a little mom and pop ambulance service in the Northeastern Sierra Nevada mountains. I received a call from the her parents and was told that the ex was in no condition to care for the children so I'd need to take them full time. I did so without hesitation, flying them out to Reno, NV immediately. I cared for those children for two years without any financial support from my ex-wife, which in my mind wasn't really a big deal, but there is a reason I mention it that I'll get to shortly. At the end of two years, the ex was sufficiently "rehabbed" enough to retake physical custody of the kids. I wrestled with allowing them to go but in the end, decided that children needed their mother more so than their father on a full time basis. That she hadn't seen them in two years also weighed heavily upon my mind and I knew how terribly bad I would have missed them had the shoes been on the other feet. I also knew that her parents would ensure their grandchildren received quite probably a far better lifestyle than I was able to provide for them at the time, and rationalizing away, I put the kids on a plane and sent them back to Michigan to be with their mother. A couple of weeks after they'd gone, I realized that I would never be able to send money to my ex the way we used to do it, since I was barely scraping by on what I was earning at the moment, so I approached my payroll office at my place of employment and asked if they would be able to send some money out of each of my checks back to my ex for child support. They stated that they could only do so with a court order, so I stupidly went down to our local courthouse and inquired how I could go about getting a support order initiated so that I could pay child support. When we'd originally split up, we'd also split the kids' time between us, since neither was in school yet. I'd take them for two weeks, then she'd take them for two weeks, and it worked fairly well for both of us. We'd never had a support order, nor did we ever hassle over money for the kids since we were essentially splitting everything down the middle. That of course changed when I left for California, but I didn't know how much until about a month after I'd gone into our local support office to request that support order. It turns out that my ex had started a welfare claim about two months prior to going off the deep on on the crack pipe. Now, I suspect many of you know that If someone uses public assistance, the state goes after the absent parent to collect child support. Having grown up without my own father and watching my mother struggle mightily to care for me and my sister has forever burned the responsibility of caring for ones' own children into my brain, but for a great many other "men," this is not the case. So having a legal way to collect money from the absent parent is, in theory, a great thing since deadbeat dads give us men a horrible name, and there are thousands of deadbeat dads out there. What's not a good thing is having the support office run by bureaucrats who can't think themselves out of a paper bag. About a month after I innocently and naively filed the request to initiate child support, I received a letter from our local support office stating that I was some $11,000 in arrears and if I didn't pay this money in full I would be arrested for failure to pay child support. According to the letter, I hadn't paid a dime of support in the past two years (no shit?) and I was in serious trouble. Thank the Gods they weren't suspending driver's licenses for this back then, or I'd have been driving my kids all over the countryside without a license. If I'd had an accident during that time all that money I'd paid into insurance wouldn't have covered me or them for squat, since I would have technically been driving illegally. The nasty letter I received had a court date scheduled on it, which I attended. The judge said he "empathized" with me because it didn't seem fair that I could be charged support when I'd had full possession of the kids, but he couldn't do shit for me, since the order originated out of another state. They slammed my paltry check with a huge deduction. The child support staff suggested I contact the county where the support order originated from. I left that courthouse so pissed off I could hardly function. It was easy for me to see how someone could snap after dealing with these incompetent fools. I contacted the support office in the county where the order had originated. They treated me like a piece of fecal material but I managed to get them to set up a phone court hearing with a judge who could actually do something. I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up. Prior to the hearing, I was asked by the support staff to send proof that I'd had the kids with me for those two years, which I did. I figured once I gave them this info, they'd not only squash my arrears but would initiate an arrears order on the mother. Boy, was I stupid. The judge wanted money and he didn't give a rats ass who it came from. He wasn't about to "let me off the hook" (his words) for this money. His rationale? That the mother needed a place for the kids to return to when she did get them back! Then he shifted the burden onto my back further; according to him, I was supposed to have contacted the court to tell them I had the children so that they could have placed a hold on my support payments! When I told him that I had never even been notified of a support order being put in place, he stated simply that my ignorance didn't absolve me of my responsibility. Unbelievably, someone in the hearing from the child support staff stated to the judge that it really didn't seem right that I was being charged the full amount of arrears. The judge relented and in a "magnanimous" gesture, he provided me an "abatement" and cut my arrears in half. So, I got stuck paying twice for my children; once while I had them here with me, then again when I sent them back, because apparently, some judges believe that when someone is in drug rehab, that counts as a "residence" for the kids to return to. I battled with these ignorant fools for the rest of my kids' childhood. In fact, I was being billed and charged support payments for them long after they'd turned 18 and the order had long sincecome to and end. I've got more horror stories about dealing with lost files, incorrect audits, missing payments (keep your receipts!) incompetent, bumbling clerks and responding to incorrect "automated" threat letter mailings than I have space on this blog to list it all. I even got my kids back a second time when their mother relapsed and disappeared, leaving them to fend for themselves in Detroit, Michigan without a dime to their names. I was smart that time though, I immediately contacted the support office and changed custody. Hell, they even placed a support order on my ex for a change! I had hoped that amount owed to me would then just be collected to finish off my arrears payments, but no such luck. If they couldn't collect from her, then I still had to pay. Didn't matter that I now also had the added expenses of caring for my two kids full time again. They did reduce my monthly arrears amount a bit - you know, the arrears that accumulated from the last time I'd had the kids with me... How kind of them. By the way, to this date, the ex has never paid me a dime, either. I've reported her address at least three times to the support office, too. Wonder why the double standard here? My nightmare with child support ended some four years ago, when they sent me a letter stating that if I paid off half of my arrears, they'd dismiss my case. I ended up sending the bastards another $2,000 to get them out of my life forever. For at least another ten months after that, I had to contact them almost every month to ensure that the letters I was receiving stating I hadn't made a payment and was about to lose my driver's license would be squashed before it actually happened. I can't tell you how much money I gave to those rotten sunsabitches but I know one thing, they screwed me every which way but loose and they broke it off in me deep, folks. And I was one who actually wanted to pay for my kids. I can't imagine how things could get much worse for those who don't want to pay. It's no wonder people snap and go ballistic in the courthouses. The insanity, incompetence and unfairness of it all is enough to drive a man mad. Couple that with a nasty divorce and the baggage one might be carrying as a result of what led up to the divorce or separation and the situation has the ability to make a normally sane and rational person dangerously unstable. Imagine what could happen if the person has underlying emotional and/or mental health issues, too.....
St. Petersburg Times (Florida)
December 28, 2007 Friday
SINGLE FATHERS FACE DEARTH OF SYMPATHY, HOUSING BYLINE: ELISABETH DYER, Times Staff Writer SULPHUR SPRINGS

The August day he brought his infant home from the hospital, Todd McKelvey called his boss and quit.

Todd II would need his shots before he could go to day care, and there was no one else to keep him. His mother delivered him while in jail, charged with drug possession.

McKelvey took the baby home with Dylan, 18 months, Emily, 4, and Savannah, 11.

Four kids, no job.

So, that first week, McKelvey, 41, and the baby got in line with dozens of people seeking help from the government. All the others were women.

"They looked at me like 'Why are you here?'" he said. "I had to suck it up. I told myself, 'You're doing this for the kids.'"

Single moms are most often the beneficiaries of government and community aid. But as more men are granted custody of children, they are seeking the same help, said Jack Garrett, program manager at the Homeless Coalition of Hillsborough County.

Society, however, says men should be protectors and providers.

"The sympathy factor isn't there for single dads. There's this double standard," said Garrett, who completed his master's thesis on single fathers with kids living on the streets in Long Beach, Calif. Their common hurdle was overcoming pride.

"Men feel ashamed they can't meet society's perception," Garrett said.

Sometimes, he said, they give up, leaving their children with grandparents or more stable aunts and uncles, or allowing them to go into foster care.

State- and federally funded agencies can't discriminate when giving aid, but biases still exist, Garrett said. Government program titles such as Women, Infants and Children can be confusing for men who need the services. (Fathers are, indeed, eligible for the supplemental food program.)

For single dads who become homeless, the differences are more stark. In Tampa, the Salvation Army has 42 beds for single moms with children, but none for single men with children, said Steve Vick, general manager.

Mary & Martha House in Ruskin and Amen Outreach Ministry in Tampa offer shelter for women and children. But Metropolitan Ministries of Tampa is the only local agency that takes single fathers, said Tim Marks, chief development officer. "At one time this year, we had three single dads," he said.

Garrett said people don't realize that single dads face the same problems that single moms face. "They wonder, 'Why doesn't he just get a job?' "

Emily slides from the top of the recliner and drapes herself around her father's shoulders.

"Daddy-Daddy-Daddy-Daddy-Daddy," the 4-year-old chants, until he looks at her. "When is Dilly Pickle's birthday?"

"Dilly Pickle," also known as Dylan, is perched on the back of the couch. He will be 2 in May. Emily wants her little brother to have a Spider-Man birthday cake. He grins widely. After Dylan's mother went to jail, he quit saying the few words he knew.

When the baby wakes him at 4 a.m. for a bottle, scores of roaches scurry from the kitchen light. The two-bedroom cottage has no heat.

McKelvey holds weekly yard sales, juggles bills and stands in line to ask for government assistance to cover his $850 rent. He crosses off agencies that have no more money to give him.

"I just never thought in a million years my life would be like this," he said. "It's not only embarrassing and degrading, it's confusing."

Like many who find themselves unable to provide for their children, McKelvey made poor decisions that led to his situation.

Growing up in Hawaii, he dreamed of a career in marine science. At 16, after his father lost his job as an air traffic controller, McKelvey moved to his grandparents' in Virginia and dropped out of high school. He worked as a mechanic for 25 years but quit his latest job of 11 years when his youngest child was born in August.

He says he knows he has made bad choices, including an arrest in 1996 for possession of marijuana. That's all in his past, he said.

He met his children's mother six years ago. She danced and served drinks at a bar; he worked the door on weekends. They've been on and off since then, planning to marry, someday, never planning for children. They lived paycheck to paycheck.

At one time, she filed kidnapping charges, saying he took Emily, then 2. He said she was out every night doing drugs and unable to watch the kids. The charges were dropped. She could not be reached for comment.

McKelvey's mother, Judy, has helped out when money was tight. She paid his electric bill after the baby was born. But she has no more help to give, she says. She wants him to get a vasectomy. She distrusts his girlfriend and wonders whether the three younger children - the oldest is from a prior relationship - are even his.

"Doesn't matter," he said. "I'm Dad."

A state child welfare worker checks in on the children regularly, ever since their mother was turned in by a neighbor, McKelvey says. The worker tells McKelvey if he loses the house or the electricity gets shut off, the kids will go in foster care.

"That's the thing that scares me to death right now," he said.

Single dads, desperate, call McKelvey, asking where to get help, how to navigate the system. They hear about him from local providers. He tells them where to go, what to take with them.

Before Thanksgiving, he picked up Philip Miranda and drove to Metropolitan Ministries. Miranda, 45, has no car, no job and custody of his four children, ages 8 to 17. He signed up for holiday meals and Christmas presents.

"I go through it, tearing up in the shower, anxiety attacks," Miranda said. "It took a lot for me to go down and ask for food stamps. But if you don't, it's selfish. It's for the kids."

While at Metropolitan Ministries, Miranda applied for a job.

McKelvey wants a job. He says he's always applying, but the window of time he can work is limited by day care hours. (The baby is in day care, paid for with government vouchers.)

He needs to make at least $15 an hour. He needs flexibility for appointments and illnesses. He wants to get his high school diploma, maybe learn to repair computers. He wants to help other single dads navigate the network of resources.

This month he planned to attend classes on job searching. If he doesn't, the government food and $360 each month will stop.

In a few weeks, he expects to get another electricity cutoff date and eviction notice.

Sometimes McKelvey envies his girlfriend, who he says is in drug treatment until at least February.

"It doesn't seem fair. She's getting her teeth fixed and her GED," he said. "But what about us?"

Elisabeth Dyer can be reached at edyer@sptimes.com or (813) 226-3321.

To help Todd McKelvey, call Tracey or Cory Crocker at Covenant Chapel Ministries at 500-4286.

Smiling does a body good

Democracy Now Livestream