12.21.2007

Killer Of Homeless Loose In Nashville?

Channel 5 is reporting a possible murderer targeting the Homeless in South Nashville. First I've heard of something like this and I'll be doing some additional investigating today to see if the folks I know of are sweating this..... Is Killer Targeting The Homeless? Posted: Dec 20, 2007 07:36 PM
NASHVILLE, Tenn.- There have been three murders in the same area, and now detectives are trying to figure out if they are connected. People on the streets are equally concerned as it appears the homeless have become a target.

Detectives said two of the three victims were homeless. It didn't take long for the murders to spread to those who now say they no longer feel safe sleeping on the streets.

Three murders in the same community, all within a week have left some of the most vulnerable on edge.

Nathan Cauley is like others in the homeless community who believe they are being targeted.

"I don't know why. It seems like it's something somebody is taking out on homeless people, or they are doing at random. I don't know," said Cauley.

The first murder happened last Thursday. Brandon Coons was found shot to death along 6th Avenue South. Just two days later, police found two men beside railroad tracks just south of Fogg Street. One of those men was Jose Coronado who was also murdered.

On Wednesday morning George Ingle was found shot to death at the corner of Benton Avenue.

"South precinct detectives are talking with folks, especially in south of inner city of Nashville, just to see if they can pick up any leads," said Kristin Mumford with Metro Police.

Two of the murder victims once stayed at the Room In the Inn. Although detectives won't confirm there's a serial killer on the loose others have their suspicions.

"I think the homeless could draw those conclusions because I think lots of people could draw those conclusions. It doesn't seem rational that similar attack would all occur at one time," said Charles Strobel at Room In The End.

With more questions than answers those who live on the streets are left trying to protect one another.

Detectives aren't saying whether there is one or more than one person responsible for the murders. Police said the motives in all three cases are still under investigation.

Detectives are working leads, but so far no arrests have been made.

If you have any information that can help police call Crime Stoppers at 74-CRIME.

Smiling does a body good

Democracy Now Livestream