9.25.2009

Visiting Reno And - Weirdly Enoough - Enjoying Life's Hardships

Some of you know that I came to Nashville from "the biggest little city in the world" approximately three years ago, and I call Reno my real home.  Exact dates are hard for me to remember; that is a price I believe I pay for the years of hardcore drug abuse I put my peanut-sized brain through.  But after spending 20+ years in and around Reno Nevada, I packed up my few belongings, said goodbye to my family and friends, and followed my better half across the country to the great, albeit sweaty, city of Nashville.

Nashville been bery bery good to me, to steal a line, and I haven't gone "home" in three years now, so when my daughter called me with problems in her personal life, I din't think twice about coming to her aid.  It was a wonderful feeling to be able to do that, by the way, since for most of her formative years, I was nowhere to be found.  Not by conscious choice but it is certainly true that I chose the poverty that comes with most drug abuse and this ensured I had little money to do much else.  I never would have been able to jump on a plane at a moment's notice, fly to another city and rent a hotel and car, and then be able to afford to set up house for my daughter without batting an eye.

Sobriety, college and Nashville have given me all these things and more, so I owe her - and the many people inside her limits that I consider friends - such a huge debt of gratitude and appreciation I believe I'll never be able to repay it.

We got into town early yesterday, with little thanks to American Airlines, whose plane took a circuit board crap at the gate in Nashville and left us an hour behind.  We had 20 minutes to make it from the C concourse at Dallas Ft Worth to the A concourse, so we went running through the  airport like OJ Simpson in those old Hertz commercials and made our flight with just seconds to spare, I kid you not. 

We landed in Reno at about 1045am and of course, my daughter was gone trying to arrange some last minute help with the move I made possible for her, so Dorothy and I spent most of the afternoon 30 minutes west, up in the Sierras.

We got back to the hotel, made contact with the kids and after speaking for the next several minutes about the situation, we have our plans nicely laid out for today and should be able to have my lovely but unhappy at the moment daughter into her place this afternoon, seeing as how she got some additional help on board. 

Smiling does a body good

Democracy Now Livestream