10.21.2013

Revisiting American Healthcare for the Poor Video



Back in 2009,  I did a lot of work on the streets here in Nashville, and one of the most memorable people I ever helped was my friend "John Doe," because he was such an atypical “client” who was not only an honorably discharged veteran, but he was also eligible for social security and no one had ever told him so, so he lived under a bridge suffering from horrible health problems, until I found him and helped him get what was already his. 

The pic below is one of John after I’d been working w him and he received his first checks.  I share this pic of him in a happier moment, because the link to the video shows him in a very different setting and condition, and it reminds us all why we have so much work to do. 

The Johns of the world are why I can’t sleep at night, or rest during the day, and why I can cry when I know this kind of thing still happens every day across our country to human beings in the richest, most developed country on earth.  This video also shows why I supported the ACA and Obamacare, and why I won't rest until every single person in this country is insured or can receive quality, competent healthcare that doesn't force them out into the streets with serious medical conditions.

Be forewarned, this video is not safe for work and shows male frontal nudity during a medical procedure.  The video had gotten some traction on YouTube before it was flagged inappropriate, and my friend Bri (Girls Guide to Homelessness) posted it on Daily Motion for me.   

But the video is important because it reminds me of what I do this work every day for, and that we - all of us - have so much work left to complete. I shot the video in 2009 and had forgotten about it, until I was reminded by someone today.  I couldn’t watch it without crying, and it has been 4 years…I  have shared this  previously and I apologize for the repeat, but every now and then, it is good to have one’s conscious shocked at the atrocities we commit right here in our own country, and sometimes just by looking the other way…


American Healthcare For the Poor (Stone Soup Station)

My friend over at Stone Soup Station (and HomelessTales.com contributor) Steve Samra filmed this powerful video.  I wanted to post it here because I believe it to be a particularly important one to watch.  For anyone who believes that I consider myself as bad off as (or worse off than) so many other homeless people… I don’t; I’m incredibly lucky, and I know it.
John Doe is a Vietnam veteran.  He lives under a bridge and receives absolutely no financial assistance from the government.  Every day, he is forced to self-catheterize himself several times, a painful and humiliating process.  In the video behind the cut, he bravely demonstrates this for Steve while answering questions about himself, his homelessness, and his experience with the American health care system.
John received an honorable discharge.

WARNING:  The following video contains a medical procedure involving non-sexual frontal male nudity.  It is absolutely NSFW and is not appropriate for persons under the age of 18 or those of a sensitive disposition.

Smiling does a body good

Democracy Now Livestream