7.11.2008

Tent City Facing Potential Closing?

A high level source tells me that folks who own the "acceptable" camping area down at Tent City are considering ending the service due to what they called "a growing population" and increasing problems associated with that growth. There is nothing new about these rumors and the those on the north side of Tent City receive visits a couple of times a years by property owners who come through and tell everyone camped there that they are trespassing. What makes this worrisome and adds at least a little credibility is the fact that according to my source, it has come from the property owners themselves. Normally I wouldn't mention anything like this here, since rumors are like assholes, everyone has heard one and they all stink, but I've been asked to help identify a new place for folks to go. That causes me some concern, since it's rare that folks expend effort and enlist assistance on a rumor, unless of course you're talking about our Federal government, and all bets are off then. Anyway, I mentioned in an earlier post that when I was helping move someone who was being evicted from the northern side, I noticed there were a lot more folks down in the area, but many have since left after those property owners came through and told folks to go or face prosecution for trespassing. Things have calmed considerably, but I suspect that there are other reasons some folks would want Tent City closed. I figured as soon as I saw the crews putting in new sidewalks in the area that changes were coming. The ongoing gentrification in the neighborhood is headed right towards this area and you can almost bet that people paying through the nose for high-priced condos "on the river" won't want to have to worry about "those homeless people" being in their neighborhood. I doubt seriously many of the folks in this area are going to be happy to hear this and I surely don't want to alarm anyone here, but it's better to be informed and proactive than to be surprised and have to react; its been proven time and time again that when the Homeless don't have any advance knowledge of what's happening, they usually get shit on the worst. If it turns out to be true, I doubt any of the longterm folks down there are going to go quietly, no matter how good a site can be found to replace the current one, and you can't blame them at all. They've called this area home for years now and while it may be hard for someone reading this in the comfort of their own home to understand, think of how you might feel if the government suddenly showed up at your door and took your home through "imminent domain" proceedings. While the folks may not technically own their places down there, they've called it home for so long that its going to be damned painful for them to leave. Unfortunately, if the powers that be say they must go, they don't stand a chance, as we've seen countless times before. (UPDATE 7/12): My source contacted me this morning and is hoping to set up a meeting with a few of the "oldtimers" at the camp to talk about what to do next. I'll try to get together with a few of them but I suspect my source will beat me to them. If Tent City does end up closing, I'm offering my pickup truck to help move folks, and I know of at least two other peeps who'll do the same.... (Apologies: in writing the update, I formatted the entire thing into oblivion. I've rewritten it as best I could from memory.)

Smiling does a body good

Democracy Now Livestream