5.25.2009

What's Shakin With Tent City?

I've been leery of posting much about the camp here for the past couple of months, as it has been my hope that things would shake out prior to June 1st and whatever decision would be made would have a chance to settle among those who are charged with the future of the camp.

Rather than bore you with the "behind the scenes" conversations that have occurred with several of the key players in the effort, I will just tell you that at this point, it has been clearly stated  that no action is going to occur on June 1  (although this is no promise that something won't happen on or around the 1st), simply because everyone is expecting this to take place and coverage will be....significant.

There are some with the ear of the mayor who at this point are stating that the camp should remain open for at least another month as efforts to find housing for them continue.  I know that at least one person who has been adamant about the close has changed positions somewhat and, if not openly arguing for an extension, isn't pressuring for a close.

But I also know there are still some who are fed up to their necks with the whole situation and want the camp to close.   At least one of these individuals is in a position to make life very miserable for the camp residents and because of that, there are still a lot of wildcards in the mix.

Added to this precarious situation are the potential actions of the camp's residents themselves.  It wouldn't take much to change perceptions and the summer is just getting underway.

I am hoping, along with just about everyone involved in assisting the residents, that we don't see one bad apple come in and ruin the whole bunch.  I

t happened last Labor Day and by the way, the person responsible for that situation will be released from jail in early June.

There's a big Commission meeting on the 29th and Tent City's future will certainly be on the table for discussion.

Stay tuned....

Smiling does a body good

Democracy Now Livestream