5.18.2009

The Learning Curve Begins To Flatten...

My first week at OSD has been challenging but extremely rewarding.  I'm seeing between 18-35 people a day; a manageable amount for the most part, and am able to help folks in ways I've really only dreamed about while on the streets previously.

There's something to be said for having a narrower focus, and as training continues toward its culmination this Friday, I'm hoping to take control with more confidence that I actually know what I'm doing than I've had in many of my previous employment opportunities.

I believe I mentioned this in an earlier post, but the stories generated by some of these vets are....unbelievable at times.

I'm working with a gentleman now who has been essentially living out of a vehicle sine the end of the Viet Nam war, back in the 70s.  I'm astounded at his tenacity and determination to make things better for himself, and it's taught me something about vets that I think separates some of them from the crowd; their dedication to remain independent and "finish the mission" gives some a survival edge over many non-vets on the street.

I would add here that I've been treated wonderfully at my new job, and although I am in a sense an outsider of sorts, having never served in the military, I am still respected and listened to when it comes to issues of homelessness.

Week two begins and I'll be back with some additional thoughts and information soon...

Smiling does a body good

Democracy Now Livestream