3.25.2009

"Traditional education in areas like phonics, the chronology of history and mental arithmetic remain but modern media and web-based skills and environmental education now feature."

It might seem a little odd to find this particular article in a homelessness and poverty blog, but I will be the first to tell you that education can advance a person from the gutter into a home and the American Dream, or what's left of it, anyway.
I dropped out of school in the 8th grade.  I won't bore you with my adventures here; suffice it to say that I did things that would ruin my chances at a "normal" life for the next two decades, at least.
When I finally figured out that I was as smart as most folks who had jobs that paid them a decent salary, I'd already wasted most of my ladder-climbing years and now found myself in entry-level professional positions working with people half my age while those who were my age were far far above me on the professional ladder.
Today I plug along, thankful that I have at least the gift of words, knowing that I've thrown away a very large portion of my life, but content that at least I was able to salvage some of it.
  I owe that salvage operation to education.  I've always been a "lifelong learner;" I just wish I would have ignored my peers - or had a different batch or them - back when I should have been listening to teachers.  I learned a lot, alright, but it was mostly crap that was useless outside of the dopeworld. 
There's nothing worse than realizing too late you've fucked up your life; when I was in San Quentin for growing the evil weed, I saw that happen to hundreds of men who walked terrified through those big metal doors and left their freedom behind; many for dozens of years.
Now on the street, I see it in the eyes and hear it in the comments of those who have spent their entire lives drinking, doping and chasing good times on the street, only to discover that the few truly good times the street brought had a damned high pricetag.
Tehir salvation, as it were, lies, at least to me, in advancing their education.  But it's a helluva lot bumpier road to travel in your 40s than in your 20s. 
Still, it's a road worth traveling, no doubt, so when I see articles like the one below, I'm very pleased that schools are beginning to provide the things I found necessary to excel as I entered true "adulthood."
Let's hope educators here in the states follow suit.....


Please Sir, how do you re-tweet? - Twitter to be taught in UK primary schools
by Mike Butcher on March 25, 2009
No, it is not April 1st yet. The British government is proposing that Twitter is to be taught in primary (elementary) schools as part of a wider push to make online communication and social media a permanent part of the UK’s education system. And that’s not all. Kids will be taught blogging, podcasting and how to use Wikipedia alongside Maths, English and Science.

The draft plans were due to be published next month, but have leaked early to The Guardian.

Children will also learn “fluency” in handwriting and keyboard skills, and how to use a spellchecker. Luckily they will still be taught how to spell themselves, rather than rely on Mr Clippy.

It’s a big overhaul of current thinking. Children will no longer be absolutely required to study the Victorians or the Second World War, as Teachers get a much freer hand in what goes on in the classroom in the biggest changes to primary schooling in a decade.

Traditional education in areas like phonics, the chronology of history and mental arithmetic remain but modern media and web-based skills and environmental education now feature.

The plans were drawn up by Sir Jim Rose, the former Ofsted chief, appointed by ministers to overhaul the primary school curriculum, and are due to be published next month.

Smiling does a body good

Democracy Now Livestream