On Monday I spent the entire day interviewing Howard Gentry and Howard Allen for an upcoming issue of The Contributor and for a new column for Change.org.
I had originally set aside an hour and a half for the meeting. I should have known better, since both these guys are talkers, and both have compelling, interesting stories about themselves that illustrate how just a couple of different decisions made early on in their lives can send one man to the top of the career ladder and take another man to the gutter, and then keep him there indefinitely.
It'll take me some time to sort through the 4 hours of tape I have, organize the article and get it proofed, but I think once it's done, it'll be worth the effort and will provide Nashvillians with some insight into two locally popular - and some might say notorious - gentlemen who have made a tremendous impact within the homeless community in this city.
I'm sitting in a Holiday Inn in Jackson, TN preparing for another training for the National Healthcare For The Homeless Council; I'll be doing this particular training sans Kraybill, but Heather and WillyC are in attendance so it will definitely be a fun-filled and informative one for the good folks in West Tennessee.
I've got an army of cases to submit to SSA and will be getting busy on them upon my Thursday return to Nashville.
I'm also currently looking at a couple of ph.d programs; thinking about Urban planning and underserved populations, something in that particular vien, thanks completely to Andy - and he's gonna kill me but I cannot recall his last name at the moment (and let this be a lesson to all you who think cannabis doesn't have any long-term effect on your noggin; I sometimes feel like I'm suffering advanced stages of Alzhiemers and I can just about guarantee it's a direct result of those California sinsimilla plants I spent a good portion of my adulthood consuming) - who spoke about his own program when we were in Louisville doing the last training. I had been waffling between another Masters and ....shoot, I didn't know what, but again, thanks to Andy, I at least have a clearer picture of the direction I'd like to take my education in, and in my opinion, that's half the battle for us kolludge-kids.
I'm starting yet another project with my blogging colleague and kind friend over at Homeless Tales, Matthew Barnes and at this point, I'm not exactly sure how he's going to make his idea come to fruition, but I know enough about Matt to know that his creative ability will make whatever he touches turn to gold, so I'm exceptionally proud to be part of his effort. Now if I can just get the universe to add another couple of hours to each day, I should be able to accompish about half of the things on my plate.
Finally, over the course of the last several days, I've had discussions with several critically important peeps in the homeless services delivery arena here that, of course led to additional work for me, but - BUT - this may be the most important thing to come to Nashville yet, and while I cannot divulge much about what's now in the works, I can say that it has the potential to turn the status quo on its head and make the lives of damned near every homeless person on the street here significantly better, if they so desire.
It's an exciting possibility and I'm proud to play any role in it. As things develop, I'll keep you posted, but for now, suffice it to say that 2009 has great potential to bring radical change to homeless services in our area.
It couldn't have come at a better time and by the way, thank the Gods for Obama's budget because without it, I doubt any of this would come to fruition......
“And homeless near a thousand homes I stood, and near a thousand tables pined and wanted food” ~Wordsworth
3.04.2009
Interviews, Trainings and Case Filings, Oh My
Democracy Now Livestream
democracynow on livestream.com. Broadcast Live Free
Important Homelessness, Poverty, Hunger & Research Links
- AFLCIO
- Action Against Hunger
- Aids Housing Of Washington
- Alliance for Retired Americans
- America's Second Harvest
- American Association of Homes and Services for the Aging
- American Bar Association Commission on Homelessness and Poverty
- American Civil Liberties Union
- American Enterprise Institute
- American Public Human Services Division
- American Rhetoric
- Amnesty International
- Annenberg Public Policy Center
- B Love Foundation
- Bazelton Center Mental Health Law
- Beyond Shelter
- Big Issue Magazine
- BigThink
- Boise ID Interfaith Sanctuary (Shelter for the body, food for the soul)
- Bread for the World
- Brookings Institute
- Bureau of Economic Research
- Bureau of Justice
- Bureau of Primary Health
- CARE
- Campaign for Home Energy Assistance
- Campus For Human Development
- Carnegie Endowment
- Carter Center
- Cato Institute
- Center For Corporate Policy
- Center For Global Development
- Center for American Progress
- Center for Budget & Policy Priorities
- Center for Law & Social Policy
- Center for Urban Community Services
- Center on Hunger and Poverty
- Chicago Coalition For The Homeless
- Child Welfare League
- Child Welfare League of America, Housing & Homelessness Initiative
- Chrysalis
- Citizens Circle For Accountability
- City Mayors Society
- Civil Rights org
- Co-Occurring and Homeless Activities Branch
- Coalition on Human Needs
- Commission on Homelessness & Poverty
- Common Ground
- Commonwealth Fund
- Communities United Against Police Brutality
- Community Action Partnership
- Community Connections
- Community Foundation: Nashville Temporary Housing Research
- Contact Congress
- Congressional Hunger Center
- Consumer Federation of American Center for Housing and Credit Policy
- Corporation for Supportive Housing
- Council for Affordable and Rural Housing
- Crisis
- Cross Cultural Solutions
- CyberSchoolBus
- Department of Health and Human Services
- Directory of Local Homeless Service Organizations
- ENPHRONT (Everywhere and Now Public Housing Residents Organizing Nationally)
- EPath: People Assisting The Homeless
- Economic Policy Institute
- Emergency Food & Shelter National Board Program
- Endgame: Research Links A to Z
- Enough
- Enterprise
- Ethics Updates
- FAIR
- FactCheck org
- Federal Statisitcs
- FindLaw
- First8
- Food Research & Action Center
- Food Stamp Program
- FoodFirst
- Freedom From Hunger
- Galaxy Star
- Georgia Law Center for the Homeless
- Give Us Your Poor
- Global Communications Network For Justice
- Government Accountability Office
- GrassRoots.org
- Growing Home
- Growing Home
- Habitat for Humanity
- Hands on Nashville
- Harvard Kennedy School
- Health & Human Services
- Health Care for the Homeless Information Resource Center
- Healthcare for the Homeless
- Help USA
- Heritage Foundation
- HomeBase
- Homeless Nation.org
- Homeless Policy Academies
- Homeless Veteran Reintegration Program Fact Sheet
- Homeless Women's Network
- Homeless World
- Homeless.org
- Homelessness Resource Center
- Housing America
- Housing Assistance Council
- Housing First
- Housing Research Foundation
- Human Rights Watch
- Hunger & Homelessness Survey 2005
- Hunger, Homelessness & Poverty Task Force
- HungerWeb.org
- Institute For Peace & Justice
- Institute for Sustainable Communities
- Institute for the Study of Homelessness and Poverty
- Institute of Health Promotion Research
- Institute of Law, Psychiatry & Public Policy
- Institute on Religion & Public Policy
- Interaction
- Interagency Council on Homelessness
- International Food Policy Research Institute
- International Hepatitis Foundation
- Joint Center For Poverty Research
- Joint Center for Political & Economic Studies
- Journal of Poverty
- Justice Research & Statisitcs Association
- Justice Talking
- Kaiser Family Foundation
- Kensington Welfare Rights Union
- Librarians Internet Resource
- Lindesmith Center - Drugs Policy Foundation
- Los Angeles Homeless Coalition
- MIT OpenCourseWare
- Mad Housers
- Mad Philosophers
- Mamma's Hands
- McKinney-Vento Act
- Meals on Wheels of America
- Middle Tennessee Methadone Treatment Center
- Motivational Interviewing
- Narcotics Anonymous
- Nashville Homeless Power Project
- Nashville Peace & Justice Center
- National AIDS Housing Coalition
- National Affordable Housing Management Association
- National Alliance for the Mentally Ill
- National Alliance of HUD Tenants
- National Alliance to End Homelessness
- National American Indian Housing Council
- National Center for Family Homelessness
- National Center for Homeless Education
- National Center for Homeless Education at SERVE
- National Center for Trauma-Informed Care
- National Clearinghouse on Families & Youth
- National Coalition for Homeless Veterans
- National Coalition for the Homeless
- National Congress for Community Economic Development
- National Employment Law Project
- National Fair Housing
- National Health Care For The Homeless Council
- National Housing Conference
- National Housing Law Project
- National Interfaith Hospitality Network
- National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty
- National Low Income Housing Coalition
- National Network for Youth
- National Policy and Advocacy Council on Homelessness
- National Poverty Center
- National Resource Center on Homelessness and Mental Illness
- National Student Campaign Against Hunger & Homelessness
- Neighborhood Reinvestment Corporation
- New England Journal of Medicine
- Non Profit Roundtable
- NonViolence org
- OMBWatch
- Office of Management and Budget
- OxFam
- PATH
- Partnership For Prescription Assistance
- Partnership For The Homeless
- Partnership to End Long Term Homelessness
- People's Economic Human Rights Campaign
- Picture The Homeless
- Poverty USA
- Poverty and Policy
- Poverty and Race Research Action Council
- Poverty topic page of the Development Gateway
- Project Hello
- Project VoteSmart
- Public Agenda
- Public Eye org
- Public/Private Ventures
- RAND
- Rasumussen Reports
- Results
- SAMHSA Homelessness Resource Center
- SecularWeb
- Securities & Exchange Commission
- Shelter Partnership Inc
- Shriver Center National Center on Poverty Law
- Sistering
- SourceWatch
- Southern Alliance For Animal Welfare: Love Your Pet - Fix your Pet
- Southern Poverty Law Center
- Street Connect
- Street Law
- Sustainable Cities
- Technical Assistance Collaborative
- The Doe Fund
- The Many Faces Of Poverty and Homelessness
- Tolerance.org
- Traveler's Aid International
- Treatment Accountability For Safer Communities
- USA.Gov
- United For a Fair Economy
- United Way Nashville
- United Way of America
- University of Michigan Poverty & Social Welfare Policy
- Urban Justice Center
- Vera Institute of Justice
- Veterans For Common Sense
- Veterans For Common Sense
- Volunteers of America
- VoteVets.org
- Washington Grantmakers Daily
- Weingart Center Homeless Research Catalog
- Wellbriety For Prisons
- WiseEarth
- Working Psychology
- Yale University - Institution for Social & Policy Studies
- ute for Children & Poverty