WillyC called me this morning and asked if I had a minute. "Sure," says I, "what's up?"
"Well, it looks like there's a puppy in the dumpster buried in the trash. Can you come and help?"
Anyone who knows me knows damned good and well I'd be coming to help. I spend most of my days doing outreach with Kailei and Kuma, two dogs I'd rescued some time ago, and I have some experience in rehabbing sick and injured pooches.
So I hoofed it over and Will pointed into the dumpster.

I quietly coaxed the little fella out of the trash, wrapped him in a

towel as he was shivering pretty violently, and we smuggled him into our office to warm him up, regroup and discuss our options.
Will called ValuVet and got an appointment for 2:30PM today. The receptionist asked for a name.
"Dumpy?"
Don't worry - we settled on Otis.

I took Otis with me for the next few hours, where he quickly ingratiated himself to my killahs. I picked up some plain MickyD's double cheesburgers - anal pet nazis, blow it out your yingyang - and we headed over to a local park to do a referral and chow some junk food.
He'd stopped shivering by this time and when we began dishing up the goodies, to say Otis was hungry is an understatement akin to saying the A bomb is "just a firecracker."
He snarfed down the burgers with the big boys, then decided to take on Kuma (the brindle on the right) for a bit of friendly ear chewing. Kailie remained aloof for about a good hour, then warmed up to Otis and joined in.
2PM arrived remarkably quickly today and we took Otis over to Will, who by this time had cleverly shared enough about our incident to break his better half's heart, so she was adamantly demanding Will bring the dog home to live at their house - Good job, Will, and don't worry, your secret manipulation of Em will never be discovered!
They did change his name to something like Tomas, which I guess would sound like toe..mas.
Dont ask me what it means; maybe Will will share it in a comment....
Dumpy, or Otis, or Tomas, whatever the hell your name is, your trip to the dumpster by some ignorant asshole who clearly didn't realize the moral and ethical responsibility of owning a pet was your luckiest break ever. I doubt you'll find a better home than the one you ended up with today and I can tell ya now, there's no shortage of folks who'll take you if Will and Em ever need to give you up.
And they
pay me to do this job - can ya imagine???