8.05.2007

Valet At Doubletree Finds Humor In Man's Incontinence

I just finished a discussion on a rather disturbing incident involving two gentlemen who left their apartment to do some shopping today. It seems D and M found themselves downtown earlier, walking from one shopping location to another, when nature began to call rather stridently, due to the medication both men take daily. I would point out here that both of these men are cleancut and were freshly showered, dressed appropriately and neatly and happened to be passing by the Doubletree Hotel's valet parking entrance when said call of nature became quite loud and urgent. Like most of us would do in a similar situation, M stopped to ask a valet attendant, whose nametag read "Doug," where the restroom was. M's speech is somewhat affected by his illnesses and medical conditions and as such, he has a nasal quality to the tone that makes him difficult to understand at times. Meanwhile, D headed directly for the toilets, as he'd been in the hotel previously and knew where the restrooms were located. Doug gave M the once over, then proceeded to tell him that the restrooms were for "customers only." M stated that he was on medication and desperately needed to use a restroom, but Doug denied M access. M pleaded with Doug, telling him that he would not be able to hold it much longer, and still Doug refused to allow M the simple use of a restroom. Then Doug spotted D and chased after him, who was by this time making considerable headway on his own bathroom quest. Doug initially tried to stop D from using the restroom, but received a stern warning from D that should Doug interfere with his trip to the toilet, D would be unable to control his bladder and would quite possibly urinate upon the floor where they were standing. Doug relented and allowed D to pass, but then, apparently out of spite, called the police on him. Meanwhile, M stood outside the hotel, lost his struggle to hold his bladder and urinated upon himself in front of the entrance. To make matters worse, when D returned, he discovered Doug laughing quite heartily at M's embarrassing and wholly unnecessary misfortune. About this time, a metro police officer arrived. The cop spoke to D for a moment, and D told the good officer that he and his companion with the now soiled pants were both suffering from mental and physical handicaps, lived in an apartment on the east side of town and were both on medication that forced them to use the bathroom frequently. He then explained what had just transpired and the cop said, "why don't you two just disappear?" They of course complied immediately, since they now needed to return home to get M a change of clothes. One doesn't have to wonder much at what management would do if Doug would have done this to a paying customer, but I would argue here that by refusing a man the use of a restroom at the entrance to a major hotel on a Sunday afternoon, the Doubletree Valet may have created a public relations debacle of a much larger scale, which could very well end up causing the loss of an unknown amount of future revenue for the business. Why, you might ask? Because I tell you now, had I witnessed a valet attendant refuse a man the use of a bathroom and the man then urinated on himself as a result, and then I saw the attendant laughing at the poor, humiliated and embarrassed man, I would never ever return to that hotel, and I would be damned sure to tell everyone I knew not to patronize an establishment where the employees found humor in degrading and humiliating the mentally and physically ill. Now, I understand the need for the Doubletree and other such businesses to protect their clients and their establishment from unsavory characters who might be a threat to their clientèle and/or furnishings, but to deny a man the use of a restroom and then snicker at the loss of a man's bladder control is cruel and disgusting on a grand scale. I know the Doubletree pride's itself on their excellent customer service and I suspect this was merely a fluke, brought about by an immature and highly ignorant young man who apparently was suffering mightily from the terrible condition of "smallbore bigshotishness." I highly doubt any manager at this fine establishment would condone what occurred today, nor do I think this is a common occurrence at the downtown Doubletree. Let's hope the good folks at the management level correct and prohibit this type of behavior from their valet attendants quickly, before their reputation is tarnished any further.

Smiling does a body good

Democracy Now Livestream