6.08.2010

Wandering Through Life, One Person at a Time

I'm really sounding like a broken record here, but so much has been going on in my rl that I've been unable to find time to write. 

I have to say that I don't much like that fact, since writing helps me focus, clears my head, organizes my thoughts, and allows me....catharsis from the immense pressures I feel sometimes in the kind of work I do.

The troubles are big; from flood destruction of our local Tent City to the recent report of my old friend Nelson, who's sick as a dog again, lost his housing and is back in Vanderbilt, most likely by this time in the ICU unit, to the very recent news that one of the people I helped into housing when we first had the "get out" orders for Tent City has been diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gherig's Disease) and has just months to live. 

My work is huge; traveling to Tacoma next week for a SAMHSA training; then off to the National Coalition for Homeless Veteran's 20th annual convention, and in the meantime working my day job supervising and running the Service Center at Operation Stand Down while assisting literally hundreds of veterans every week with some of the most perplexing, challenging issues they face. 

Trying to assist the four children and their families I've helped bring into the world; standing next to my wife as she battles her own health issues, and all the while wondering whether I'm actually doing a good enough job to keep me employed by people and companies that I often feel are far beyond my skill, scope and ability to work in - struggling against me own addictive, mentally ill and medicated personality is a full time job in and of itself, dontchakno.

But somehow, I'm managing to do it all, and I think it's because....to me, it's not really work, it's life.  It's been my life for...all of my life and about the only difference really is that for the first time in that life of mine, I'm actually able to help others instead of somehow negatively impacting them.

I guess that's what gives me the strength to awaken at 430am, work until 7am on my computer, haul arse to the office and put in 9 hours there, then zip home to crank out the writing tasks I'm committed to for other sites.

It leaves the ol "Station" in the lurch, neglected but never forgotten.

While I do occasionally long for the days when the only place I did any writing was right here, I believe in what I'm doing and think it's important enough that I sacrifice the time I usually spend here for other tasks.

I hope I am not disappointing anyone with my very sparse postings here lately; if for some perverse reason you need more of what I have to say, you can find me elsewhere.  It's just that elsewhere I'm constrained by their rules, their topics, their needs.

Here I can be....me.  All me, with the freedom to write, say and think what I want.

Love that freedom.

And sure do miss it, too......

Smiling does a body good

Democracy Now Livestream