6.09.2010

Advocates said Tent City can not move back to its location on Hermitage Avenue because flooding contaminated the area, and the land is not safe

I've got a pretty big story on this coming out in Change.org soon and I'll be adding some stuff here as well, but for those of you seeking news on the future of the camp, you're going to almost certainly be disappointed, as I'm focusing more on the involvement of the advocates than the camp's potential.  

One thing I can tell you about the camp's future here however, is that I've been informed that plans for establishing a "long term, sanctioned tent city" in Nashville have been scrapped by the local administration.  It seems that the good, "pro-development" Mayor would rather not be seen supporting this type of "development" in our fair city, so help from the public sector is about kaput, as I understand it.

I haven't verified this with others close to the matter but I can tell you that this info comes to me from a local journalist working on a story about the camp who has been interviewing selected shotcallers in the matter and this is the info that has been delivered.  

Stay tuned.....

Antioch Residents Get Explanation For Tent City Move

Jun 03, 2010 10:42 PM CDT


By Chris Cannon
ANTIOCH, Tenn. - The controversial Tent City was forced to move from the banks of the Cumberland River after the May flood.  The homeless camp's new home is on two acres of land in Antioch, along Interstate 24.

Neighbors in that area had no idea it was moving there and they are upset.

"I didn't see any problem with it, and I am terribly sorry if many of you have been upset by it," said property owner Lee Beaman.

Beaman agreed to allow the camp on his property after his church minister asked if they could use it as a temporary home for tent city.

Organizers of the move said Antioch was not their first choice for the camp, but they claim it was their only choice.

"It never occurred to us that for a temporary situation people would be so angry, and I am sorry that you're angry and feel cut out," said Jeannie Alexander, a homeless advocate.

The group offered their apologies to a crowd of several hundred Antioch residents for not notifying them about the move. 

"I'm sorry in one sense, and in another sense I'm not because we had to do something, and it was the only thing available," according to Doug Sanders minister at Otter Creek Church in Brentwood.

Even though Metro has ordered Tent City closed on July 5th, residents in the area are still angry about how the situation evolved.

"How dare you think that we will let you do this to our neighborhood," said one concerned citizen.

"Brentwood doesn't want them. Let's just send them to Antioch.  We know it's a little Harlem. Let's just sent them out there," said resident Wanda Mascarenas.

Advocates said Tent City can not move back to its location on Hermitage Avenue because flooding contaminated the area, and the land is not safe.

Everyone at the town hall meeting did agree on one thing Thursday night. This situation puts a spotlight on the homeless problem in Nashville and the need for a long-term solution.

Smiling does a body good

Democracy Now Livestream