4.23.2010

"touting the Second Chance Act"

This is incredibly important legislation for those of us who've suffered an assault by the criminal justice system because of our addiction disease and are dealing - often years later - with the fallout.

I've said it here before and I'll say it here again; the single biggest negative impact I've had on my ability to recover from my addiction has come not from the use of the drugs themselves but rather from the heavy hand and resultant stigmatization that has come as a direct result of having a felony conviction for marijuana.

Ridiculous....

President Talks About Importance of Second Chance Act

Yesterday, at a town hall meeting in Tampa, President Obama responded to a question about what could be done to help provide ex drug felons with jobs, so that they would not return to a life of crime, by touting the Second Chance Act. NPACH worked diligently with a bipartisan group of advocates and Members of Congress to pass this legislation, to help ensure that people leaving jails and prisons do not become homeless because they cannot rent an apartment or find work.



Smiling does a body good

Democracy Now Livestream