1.25.2010

The Count Is Right Around The Corner

This Tuesday night/Wednesday early morning will be the annual national point-in-time homeless count to try and determine just how many folks there are actually sleeping outside on a given night.

I've written about the problems with the count several times here and there are many, culminating in the fact that the final official number is really nothing but a low-ball guesstimate. 

However, with that said, the count does help the bean-counters determine where to spend the pittance they toss towards homelessness and how pathetic the pittance will be for the coming year.

Yep, it's important, if for nothing more than that fact.

If you're a volunteer, I'm hoping you'll go out of your way, being extra-vigilant, to really try to find folks.  I know that sometimes this is difficult, not to mention scary for some, but I just can't stress enough how important it is to actually find the folks outside on this night. 

See ya on the streets and get plenty of rest for the late night walkabout.....

Smiling does a body good

Democracy Now Livestream