1.26.2010

Mayor Announcing the "Adopt a Meter" program at Wildhorse Saloon Today

Watching channel 5 this morning and they are stating that Mayor Dean will be announcing a new effort at homeless outreach and awareness after a ceremony today.

Not sure yet if this is using parking meters as a method for assisting but I do believe it is, and if so I'm not sure how I feel about this, for a variety of reasons.  However, I know Denver has been using this approach with a modicum of success and raise thousands of dollars to assist the homeless in the process. 

I've become increasingly impressed with the Mayor's effort to get some things rolling regarding bringing some real help to the street; when Nashville experienced the "big cold" a couple of weeks ago, the Mayor surprised advocates and agencies around the city when he mobilized an unprecedented number of resources to assist in getting help to folks on the street.

From the Office of Emergency Management to the Red Cross to faith based organizations opening their doors as temporary shelters, it was by far the biggest collaborative effort I've ever seen take place to assist those experiencing homelessness, and I remember walking away from the planning meeting wondering why it was that it took a major storm to bring about resources we should have at our disposal every single day.


It also left me with a newfound respect for Mayor Dean, who while he has been compassionate in many ways towards peeps on the street, didn't seem to be spending a whole lotta time pushing for additional help, what with the headaches over the schools, the convention center, and budget issues taking priority.

I'm anxiously awaiting this new news and am looking forward to seeing -and assisting in any way possible - the introduction of new outreach and/or services to help end homelessness in Nashville and her burbs.

Help can't come soon enough, believe it.....

Smiling does a body good

Democracy Now Livestream