12.11.2009

Project Homeless Connect A Calm, Smooth Affair


Spent several hours wandering Project Homeless Connect yesterday and aside from hearing generally approving comments from every single person I talked to, I also noticed immediately upon entering the auditorium that it was a much calmer, more organized and laid back affair than last year's effort.

Every agency that dealt with homelessness in some way was there, and importantly so too was MTA this year; a wonderful addition to the effort, if for nothing more than to give them a first-hand view of the incredible need for affordable bus passes for the good peeps on the street.

Got lotsa pics and saw a lot of old friends, including Buddy and Shelly, who're now married thanks to Jeannie Alexander and who are living happily "on the farm" after spending considerable time in Tent City.  Also saw "Roger" and he was so grateful for the help BigWillyC and I'd provided him getting his disability started that he burst into tears and hugged me until I thought my ears would pop!

Of note: Poor Doug Sanders had his darned car towed first thing in the morning, costing him a hefty hundred bucks to get back, so they were not fooling around with folks who parked near the event yesterday and while I don't blame them, to tow the man's car was a bit on the extreme side.  And yes, he'd fed the meter, but may have been a couple of minutes late getting back to it, which is probably the result of running around frantically searching for it, only to realize later that it'd been either stolen or towed.

Saw Will yesterday too and he looked better than he had in some time, so it was good to see him in better spirits. 

Overall, thought it was a job very well done and I hope the good peeps who put it together and those who volunteered to assist are pleased with their efforts; the vast majority of folks on the street I've spoken with gave it a solid thumbs up!

Smiling does a body good

Democracy Now Livestream