"I think people have noticed disturbing trends in the past couple of years: aggressive panhandling, public urination, men harassing people on the street—and the whole thing just kind of exploded with the two murders," said David Keller, a Realtor in Madison. "I think it's probably an easy default ... but these feelings have been simmering under the radar, and now they're out in the open."I was down at Riverfront yesterday, photo-interviewing a 50 year old woman who arrived from Birmingham, AL 18 days ago with her husband. She'd been in town a total of 12 days when they were arrested and taken to jail for sleeping down at Riverfront while waiting for their Social Security Disability checks to come in. They told me that ordinarily they wouldn't have had to do that but they'd been robbed near the Greyhound bus station in Birmingham before they got on the bus and so arrived in Nashville "broker than a Bush economic policy." During the videoing of that conversation, I noticed two gentlemen watching me with more than passing interest. When I finished, one of them -Buddy - asked me if I was "from the Scene?" I told him "no," and then told him I worked for a mental health agency and was also a co-founder of the Contributor, Nashville's Homeless Newspaper. Buddy was obviously bothered and a little agitated, but kept it under control while asking me why it was that "we" didn't do something about "all the bums" in the park. "We sit in our offices eating lunch and we gotta look at all this crap and these people scattered all over the place. Look at that junk there," he said, pointing to the couple's belongings I had just interviewed. I don't think my first response - that public parks are open to everyone during operating hours- sat too well with him, but I quickly began scoring decent "awareness" points when I told him what had actually occurred to this couple, that although Metro's Homelessness Commission was definitely working on solutions we hadn't been able to keep our promise in 2007 of even one of the 200 affordable housing units we promised we'd bring to the city each year, and that the reason folks congregate at the parks is because; A. there's no place else to go and B. the parks have bathroom access - the only place left in the city that would allow "these people" a place to use a toilet. I then asked him as a store owner if he had a policy that banned people with backpacks from using his restrooms. He hesitated a moment and I knew he did. He stated that he banned "those people" because all "they" do is steal from his store. We then talked a while about the "one bad apple" phenomenon and he began softening his stance. We continued talking about the scattering of services in the Nashville area and how it forces folks to spend their days crisscrossing town to get services, and finished our discussion by addressing the lack of money and resources needed to really make a difference. By the end of our conversation, I had an invite from Buddy to come talk more and I'm going to ask him for an interview for the Contributor because I think it's critically important we get the views of the business owners like Buddy while also helping to enlighten Buddy and those who share similar views as to why it is we have people hanging out at Riverfront when we should be able to help them find a place to hang their hats. We need people like Buddy to help us end homelessness. Buddy himself may not bring every resource to the table that will accomplish this, but thousands of Buddys, armed with a true understanding of the complexity and problems of homelessness, may bring ideas and resources we hadn't even thought of. Furthermore, if we can clue all the Buddys into the difficulty and frustration we service delivery professionals have concerning our lack of resources and frankly pathetic levels of funding we receive to address the scourge of homelessness, perhaps - just maybe - they will add their voice to the growing chorus of those who are demanding society do the right thing in helping our sick and marginalized and ostracized brothers and sisters get off the streets, permanently.
www.chicagotrib
chicagotribune.com
Public casts colder eye at homeless
In Madison, rising suspicions in wake of unsolved slayings fuel backlash
By Tim Jones
Tribune correspondent
April 27, 2008
MADISON, Wis. — The late-afternoon regulars on State Street — Lonnie, Ron, Bruce and dozens more, nearly all of them men with outstretched hands or jiggling styrofoam cups—know all too well that they're not the most admired members of the community. They may be drug addicts, alcoholics, ex-cons, mentally ill or homeless, but they can sense when public sentiment has shifted against them—like now. A backlash against street people is under way in this renowned liberal college town after an uncharacteristiSpreading resentment
Across the nation, resentment toward the homeless—especially single men who aggressively panhandle — has prompted some cities to take sterner measures to keep order and manage the denizens of Skid Rows. The circumstances vary, but a combination of factors is at play, including the depressed economy, deinstitutionalization of the mentally ill and the burgeoning numbers of homeless people.
Cities are restricting the activities of people who live on the street. Tacoma, Wash., prohibited panhandling before dawn and after dusk (Ed Note: so too did Nashville recently). Seattle, in addition to new panhandling curbs, is about to close free public toilets that had become a haven for drug deals and other crime. Resistance in other cities to new or expanded homeless shelters has mounted.
"There's a backlash," said Michael Stoops, acting executive director of the National Coalition for the Homeless. "People are frustrated because the homeless population is growing."