5.26.2010

Working In The Desert Today

"Out in the West Texas town of El Paso
I fell in love with a Mexican girl.
Night-time would find me in Rosa's cantina;
Music would play and Felina would whirl."
Marty Robbins

Hello.....(echoes)  HELLOOOOOOOO........

Lordy been a while since I've been blome.

*Picks up broom, sweeps cobwebs from blog*

So I'm down in El Paso this morning, watching the sun come up on the desert and prepping for a training session with the great folks who make up the social service network in and around the El Paso area.  

It's been an outrageously busy past couple of weeks, and frankly I'm beginning to sound like a broken record with that statement here, but it's the truth and has been so for at least the past six months now. 

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

One thing I do fear is  that the very work I do in educating and assisting others in performing effective case management and street outreach keeps me from actually doing case management and street outreach.

That's why I'm just SO thankful for the work I'm able to work so closely with my "sistahs and my brothas  from other muthas" at Operation Stand Down Nashville, Inc.  It keeps me connected to the street, empathetic to the hassles and barriers folks are dealing with every day, and motivated to keep fighting the good fight when te weight of 90 hour weeks begin to hang heavy on the shoulders.

Lots of local news and some "matters of national importance" as the bigshots like to say, and I will try to catch up this weekend, as it'll be the first weekend I've had to spend w the family in.....a helluva long time....

Smiling does a body good

Democracy Now Livestream