7.19.2007

WKRN Channel 2 Highlights The Downtown Partnershp's Aggressive Panhandling Campaign

I've written extensively about the aggressive panhandling problem and the campaign by the Downtown Partnership to begin controlling some of it. I've had many conversations with my Homeless clients who almost unanimously have stated that aggressive panhandling is a problem and gives the Homeless, many of whom never panhandle at all, a bad name. My other site, Find Steve, is listed as a resource on the Partnership's page devoted to the Please Help, Don't Give campaign, and I've tried to gently warn anyone who will listen that aggressive panhandling is going to be controlled, if not by those of us who are, or work with, the homeless, then by those who have the resources and the vested interests in ensuring safe and unfettered access to their businesses and homes in the downtown area. For the most part, the piece echoes the sentiments of the vast majority of people I've had discussions with on the situation concerning aggressive panhandling in the downtown area. While I am somewhat distressed by the comments of one of the individuals in the piece whom I happen to know quite well and who is stretching more than a little both his homelessness and "advocacy" status, it does provide some insight into the misunderstanding of the entire issue surrounding this campaign and panhandling in general by even well-meaning individuals. I would add here that while the Nashville Rescue Mission's Mr. Treadway provides a much needed service to the population of Nashville and is entitled to to his opinion on the matter, I know firsthand that not all panhandling is done simply to feed an addiction. There is no doubt in my mind that Mr. Treadway is an experienced and savvy man who has been around the block more than a few times, and I respect his input and his expertise, but on this particular matter I do hope he realizes there are at least some exceptions to the rule (and I realize they exceptions may not be enough to satisfy the most ardent opponents of panhandling). I will be the first to concede that many folks do indeed panhandle for alcohol and drugs, but panhandling is also performed for such necessities as payments for prescriptions not covered by Medicare or available at Meharry's pharmacy; food; personal/feminine hygiene products; clothing and footwear; to name just a few. Finally, you probably have noticed by now that in just about every instance of writing the term "aggressive panhandling" in these posts, I've italicized the word "aggressive." I've done this because I want to be perfectly, unequivocally, extremely, succinctly and absolutely crystal clear that I am not against all forms of panhandling. Passive panhandling is not only acceptable to me, it is a Constitutionally protected activity involving freedom of speech. Downtown Partnership Deals With Panhandling Problem With the number of panhandlers growing in downtown Nashville, the Nashville Downtown Partnership has initiated a pro-active campaign designed to inform citizens how to deal with panhandlers. Head downtown and chances are someone will likely ask you for money. By many accounts, pan handling in music city is out of control. George Pflugel runs a popular restaurant on the corner of fifth and church. He said panhandlers are costing him business. He said, “All the pedestrians that comes through here get bothered by the panhandlers and the city won’t really do anything about...it… It’s messed up, they’re messed up.” Because panhandling is not illegal, the Nashville Downtown Partnership has launched its own anti-panhandling campaign Posters are now in downtown business windows and cards that advise tourists how to act around panhandlers are available everywhere The posters and card also instructs citizens specifically to "not to give panhandlers money" Billy Payne has been on the streets off and on for the last 20 years. A struggling musician, he said he's okay with the campaign. One onetime homeless man and present day advocate doesn't like the campaign. He said, “I understand the problem, it’s great, but they’re trying to put a small band-aid on a very large problem.” Cliff Treadway at the Nashville Rescue Mission applauds the new program. He said point blank, nobody in Nashville has to go hungry or sleep without a roof over their head unless they want it that way. He said if you time it just right, on a Saturday, you can eat for free seven different times in this city. Treadway also said there's no doubt the money given to panhandlers, feeds their addiction.

Smiling does a body good

Democracy Now Livestream