7.06.2007

For a Moment Anyway - Freedom From The World....

Adding something positive into the lives of those who often see their own situation as intractably damaged and depressing can help reinvigorate determination to overcome challenges. It happens all the time in our own lives - a little praise, a bit of positive reinforcement, brings renewed energy and perseverance to overcome obstacles. In this case, that someone from a community they have essentially been ostracized from steps forward with an offer to include them in an activity of a "normal" life - for no other reason than because she wanted to - makes it all the more powerful and meaningful to them. Local Runner Helps Homeless One Step At A Time Natasha Brown reporting (Check out the video here) (CBS 3) PHILADELPHIA A Philadelphia runner is sharing her love of the sport in order to give hope to those in need. With the help of a few loyal followers her mission is growing one step at a time. They may not be track stars, but then again, the run they are about to make isn't a race to a finish line. Homeless at the Sunday Breakfast Mission are on a mission to revive their lives thanks to runner Anne Mahlum. "I run by the shelter every morning and about a month ago I had this epiphany of why am I not taking these guys with me and I felt like I was cheating them," Mahlum said. Mahlum lobbied a local business to donate free sneakers to help inspire the men who used to inspire her during her jog by the shelter. "I though it'd be a great way for them to start their day. I feel so amazing when I start my day this way," Mahlum said. Now, a group called the Breakfast mission runners run a mile around the city twice a week. "I get to see if the old body works like it used to. You know give me a chance to focus on something else other than my problems. It's like when I used to run it used to give me a free feeling," Michael Solomon said. That's the attitude Mahlum hopes to promote. "What I'm looking for is a corporation to step up financially and emotionally to support this effort because I think it has a real chance of being a huge factor of ending homelessness in the city," she said. "I feel refreshed. It was really nice. It was a nice run. Everybody was cheering each other on, giving each other encouragement," Soloman said. "The energy in their eyes makes my heart smile," Mahlum. The club at the Sunday Breakfast Mission is just the first of many running clubs Mahlum hopes to start at shelters all throughout the city, giving those down on their luck a renewed spirit and motivation to move forward one mile at a time.

Smiling does a body good

Democracy Now Livestream