“The idea is intimidating. People immediately think 'law enforcement,'” says Schrank....One important mandate was that Schrank would receive proper training on how to handle Mik in this unique environment, which he did through a local police officer.Hmmmm. I'm conflicted by these two apparently opposing statements and frankly, by the use of a "drug dog" in Recovery housing in general.
Okay, I know what I'm about to say in this post isn't going to go over well with some of my more militant brothers and sisters in the Recovery movement so I'll just state that on the front end here.
Animals have saved my life in my recovery, and I'm not alone. Well-trained service dogs have made incredible companions and friends for people suffering from illness for a long time.
Many of my brothers and sisters living homeless on the streets have relied on their dogs for companionship, protection and support while enduring the dangers and challenges of life sleeping rough. My friend and colleague Laurie Green over at SAFPAW has helped over 8,000 pet owners in the Nashville Tennessee area over the years - most of them homeless - in taking care of their critters while during their time outside, and Laurie can tell you first hand how important animals have been in the lives of those our community ignores and oppresses on a regular basis.
As an addict in long-term recovery, I can personally attest to the critical importance animals have had throughout both my active addiction and my recovery- they grounded me and because of their need for care and affection, forced me to be at least responsible to them even when I couldn't be responsible about myself and others. They brightened very dark days in my life, brought me joy when nothing else could, stood by me as my friend when no-one else did, they never judged me, even when I knew I was a scandalous asshole, and perhaps most importantly, they saved my life by alerting a partner when I had overdosed on heroin and was going into respiratory arrest (the first stage of death by overdose).
In recovery, they have remained in my life as my companions to that life, bringing my wife and me great joy every day in ways too numerous to count here. My dogs are more important to me than many of the people in my life and while I know that hurts some of those people, but I know there are at least several people who understand that without animals in my life, I might not be here today.
Suffice it to say, animals are an indispensable, critically important part of my life and my existence has been both lengthened and enriched immeasurably by their presence in it. Literally millions of others can say exactly the same thing.
So, when I see animals used in ways that have the potential to shift or color how people think about them, I get immediately concerned because I know that there are some subhuman bastards out there who do very terrible and horrible things to animals.
One of those activities that can completely alter how a person views and interacts with an animal is using dogs to identify the presence of "narcotics."
I've never been a fan drug sniffing dogs, for a number of reasons, and have successfully sued a school district in the 90s for a 4th amendment violation (the decision was upheld on appeal) when they marched children in my family out of their classrooms and past a drug dog stationed at a doorway leading to the exercise yard. No drugs were found in that search, and those kids were forced to stand outside on the snow covered ground without coats for over an hour while police searched their classrooms once they illegally searched each child coming out of the classroom. That federal lawsuit was the catalyst that ultimately led to a long-term targeting of my family by police that involved some very egregious conduct involved by the the narcotics unit and the local district attorney, but that is another post.
Through all of that, we knew it's not the dog's fault for what they're forced or trained to do. But many people who have been busted because of a dog find it hard to separate the fact that it's the trainer rather than the dog who actually caught them. Using dogs - or any animals in this way has a very real potential to forever alienate an individual from the therapeutic impact a dog or pet can have for someone in recovery.
Herein lies my conflict with Mik and Joe Schrank's use of Mik in his recovery housing. I get what Joe's trying to do and I know better than most that those of us suffering from the disease of addiction can be some scandalous, devious, nefarious, sunsabitches at times. As a recovering addict and friend says about her own treacherous past, "I'll help you search for the drugs I stole from you earlier that day." I believe Joe's heart is in the right place and I'm grateful that he's providing housing to folks who rarely get an opportunity to redeem themselves and begin rebuilding their lives.
But using Mik to enforce the "no drugs" rule I think is far less effective than to use a dog like Mik as a companion for recovery that doesn't bring with it the fear of being busted because your "friend" ratted you out. In our world, there are few things worse than being busted by a rat you trusted.
Putting an animal in that position I believe can unfairly stigmatize the animal and has the potential to turn a person who could most benefit from a relationship with a dog or service animal into someone who could end up resentful and suspicious of them. I'm sure that Joe and perhaps some of the folks in his program would disagree, but I'm not so sure I would trust the input from folks in the program because they depend on that housing for their survival and recovery and therefore would be unlikely to speak negatively about any aspect of it.
Now I could be totally wrong on all of this; Mik could be bringing the best of both worlds to the people in Joe's housing, and that would be a wonderful thing indeed.
But I can't help but wonder whether there are better ways to incorporate the amazing healing benefits of animal supported recovery and to do it in a way that never pits the animal against those he/she is there to support.
Meet the Black Lab Who Helps Recovering Addicts
Photo: Joe Schrank
Mik offers many benefits to residents at Loft 107
When new residents arrive at Loft 107, a sober-living facility in Brooklyn, they’re greeted by founder Joe Schrank and a friendly black Labrador Retriever named Mik. But Mik’s not just the welcome wagon; he’s a narcotics detection dog whose job is to make sure residents stay in recovery while they’re at Loft 107, and even after they leave.
A Perfect Match
Schrank had long explored bringing a dog like Mik to the facility but was wary because of the possible narcotics detection connotation. “The idea is intimidating. People immediately think 'law enforcement,'” says Schrank. “But (Mik's) not looking to ‘catch’ anyone or call the police. He’s there to help.”But Schrank also knew that a dog could help him make definitive calls about the presence (or absence) of drugs; an invaluable benefit to the Loft, which serves as a temporary place to stay for people who have already been in rehab but aren’t yet comfortable returning to their normal lives.
So, he contacted Worldwide Canine Inc., an organization that specializes in the training and utilization of professional working dogs, including police dogs for patrol, detection and tracking. After he was fully vetted by Worldwide Canines, Schrank was matched with 6-year-old Mik, whose duty as a police narcotics dog had come to an end. Mik offered the perfect experience and skills for Schrank and his team.
One important mandate was that Schrank would receive proper training on how to handle Mik in this unique environment, which he did through a local police officer. “We tried all kinds of things with Mik during training,” says Schrank. “I put the drugs in a safe, wrapped them in foil, everything. He got them every time.”
Keeping It Clean at the Center
Mik’s most critical job is to keep the Loft 107 facility drug-free and safe. The 7,000-square-foot warehouse loft is home to 17 residents and hosts a variety of sessions and events. “We have outpatients and residents coming in and out of the center every day. Anyone could bring in anything,” says Schrank.While most of the people involved in the center are motivated to change their lives, some aren’t, says Schrank. Mik provides a safety measure to ensure the center stays clean.
With Mik on staff, Schrank and his team no longer need to go through people’s things when they enter the facility. With a few quick sniffs, Mik can detect the presence of drugs right away. “He’s way more thorough than we could ever be,” says Schrank.
For new residents and their families, the dog’s presence brings a sense of relief and proof that the center means business when it comes to staying drug-free. “The great gift Mik gives people is peace of mind,” explains Schrank.
Keeping It Clean at Home
Photo: Joe Schrank
Joe Schrank and Mik conduct a search
Then, the center offers Mik's ongoing services to perform periodic checks. “We’ll randomly bring Mik over to make sure things are still clean,” says Schrank. This service is particularly helpful to families, adds Schrank. Bringing Mik through the house and finding nothing brings a lot of relief to loved ones.
No Doubt Interventions
Schrank says he’s often called on for interventions, and Mik is an invaluable asset in these situations. Schrank explains that a family member may call him because they suspect drug use in their home. But they are often in denial, so they end up trying to talk themselves out of meeting with Schrank. “So I tell them I’ll bring Mik over to go through the house, and then we’ll know for sure,” Schrank says.Mik provides proof, says Schrank. “Most of the time, we know they are using before we find the drugs. The reason for the dog is so we don’t have to argue about it. He’s never, ever wrong. He either smells it or he doesn’t.”
And when he does, it’s time for the family to face reality.
Dog Therapy
At the Loft, Mik offers more than just his sniffing services. He and two other dogs — a Bulldog named Churchill and Luci the Mastiff — are all part of the program.“We are always clear with people that we do have dogs in treatment,” Schrank says. The dogs’ calming, accepting presence is welcome to most residents and outpatients in the program. “Something about their energy is therapeutic, even in a clinical setting,” he explains.
Each dog brings something different to the environment. Mik’s lively presence is mascot-like, says Schrank. Churchill attends most group sessions, either sitting on the couch or snoozing nearby. “The snoring can get disruptive,” Schrank says with a laugh. Luci, who's a little shy, is often quietly supportive from afar.
All three canines offer judgment-free friendship. People in recovery may feel alienated from their family, so they’re shut down, Schrank explains. But a dog’s acceptance can be a new starting place for some people. “The dog’s not mad at you,” Schrank says. “The Bulldog doesn’t hate you. We start with that.”
Mik’s presence has been game-changing for Schrank and his work in many ways: “If I could, I would have 10 dogs. They are so valuable in this arena."