listen - it isn't rocket science. Those of us without insurance are dying out here and we're dying in droves. We're sick and tired of paying for top-notch health care via our hard-earned tax dollars for those who are able to afford it on their own (are the politicians listening?) and we demand something that will at least help us battle the biggies when we need it.
This is way past ridiculous and there are plenty of examples from around the world that universal health care is not only doable, it works well and costs considerably less than what we're doing now.
As my friend MetisRebel (and I owe a huge apology here - I've been saying this is Matt's favorite line when in fact, MR has set me straight here - which is more proof that heavy cannabis use does have consequences, kiddies) likes to say,
"Get on it."
Local Woman In Bad Health Kicked Off TennCare
Posted: July 27, 2009 07:07 PM
Video Gallery | |||
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - While Patricia Newman fights to survive, local health care advocates point to her case as a perfect example of why they think massive health care reform was needed.
Newman's bedroom had become a prison. Her many respiratory illnesses trapped her inside and it was even worse at night.
"I have to be hooked up to the machines, because I stop breathing in my sleep," said Newman. "It looks like TennCare doesn't care if I die."
Newman will receive around $1,200 a month in Social Security disability. Not near enough to pay all her medical bills. Her Medicare benefits will not kick in for another 14 months.
"I am real mad, and I am real depressed now," said Newman.
Health care advocates said Newman's predicament was a perfect example of a broken system that needs to be fixed to cover everyone, more efficiently.
"Now what the congress is saying is, if you are below a certain income level, you are going to be covered under the Medicaid, program, we are going to get rid of all these arcane eligibility categories," said local health care advocate Tony Garr.
Washington lawmakers agree the system needs to be fixed. Late Monday there was word they are moving closer to a deal on health care.
"I am very pleased to report we are moving closer to a place where we will lower costs, and improve the quality of care," Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D) House Speaker.
When Patricia Newman became too sick to work for MTA she tried to get private health insurance, but they turned her down. A health advocacy group will meet with Newman Tuesday to figure out what she should do next.
Part of this health care reform package calls for insurance companies, to be unable to deny people coverage, based on pre-existing conditions.
A bi-partisan group in the Senate is edging closer to a healthcare compromise that omits a government insurance option that Obama favors.
Newman's bedroom had become a prison. Her many respiratory illnesses trapped her inside and it was even worse at night.
"I have to be hooked up to the machines, because I stop breathing in my sleep," said Newman. "It looks like TennCare doesn't care if I die."
Newman will receive around $1,200 a month in Social Security disability. Not near enough to pay all her medical bills. Her Medicare benefits will not kick in for another 14 months.
"I am real mad, and I am real depressed now," said Newman.
Health care advocates said Newman's predicament was a perfect example of a broken system that needs to be fixed to cover everyone, more efficiently.
"Now what the congress is saying is, if you are below a certain income level, you are going to be covered under the Medicaid, program, we are going to get rid of all these arcane eligibility categories," said local health care advocate Tony Garr.
Washington lawmakers agree the system needs to be fixed. Late Monday there was word they are moving closer to a deal on health care.
"I am very pleased to report we are moving closer to a place where we will lower costs, and improve the quality of care," Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D) House Speaker.
When Patricia Newman became too sick to work for MTA she tried to get private health insurance, but they turned her down. A health advocacy group will meet with Newman Tuesday to figure out what she should do next.
Part of this health care reform package calls for insurance companies, to be unable to deny people coverage, based on pre-existing conditions.
A bi-partisan group in the Senate is edging closer to a healthcare compromise that omits a government insurance option that Obama favors.